Monday, July 20, 2009

Pub, how I love thee, let me count the ways....



Now most people would think that pledging their love to a bar precludes substance abuse treatment... for some it may, but let me put it into terms you can understand...

Remember the TV show Cheers? Pub is my Cheers if Cheers was a piano bar with a hot piano player who not only knows my name, but every song I love and plays them all for me when I come to town.. plus he gets excited to see me.. :)

The piano player is Frank.

Three years ago we started going to Pub on Wednesday nights because I had a crush on one of the piano players -- Frank. Now it wasn't really a crush because at the time I knew nothing about him other than he was charismatic and adorable and could play the piano. Over time we got to know him and he really is a cool guy and I became a huge fan. I didn't really expect him to remember me or anything. I mean he sees thousands of girls a week at the bar and 99% of them are better looking, but he did remember me and he began learning the songs I like and learning new Billy Joel songs for me. SO when i go back he's excited to see me and makes me feel really special. This past time was no different...

Erica had called to see when i was coming so she could get a sitter so we could go to Pub. So when I get to town we get ready and head to Pub. Erica and Marty haven't been in a while and it's been since the beginning of April since I've been there... so we weren't even sure if Frank still worked there, but we only go because of him -- the rest of the players suck now all the other good ones left. anyway so we get to Pub and Frank isn't there so we were worried.. but we ordered dinner and waited. Patrick and Ryan were playing (Patrick is former Army but an asshole and Ryan looks 12) but we ask Ryan if Frank is coming and he said that he was on his way.

So we're there for about a half hour when Frank walks in the front door... as he walks through the doors he see us and greets us excitedly and after putting his stuff down comes over and gives hugs. He then goes off to do stuff and says he'll be back. He didn't really come back, but when he got to the piano the first thing he did was say, "Steph, I hope I don't totally butcher this" and then he played Innocent Man by Billy Joel for me. back when I lived up there I told him he should learn it because it's my favorite song -- he did. :) So he proceeds to play all of my favorite songs including billy joel and Pearl Jam songs among others. I had a great night. I always have a great night at pub.

So Thursday I log into my facebook and have a message from Frank apologizing for not coming back to the table... how sweet is that!!

Now, to understand how cool this is to me.. I'm a FAN of his.. he has a CD which I wake up to every day and I listen to it when I get homesick for Ypsi. It's really good. :) So being a Fan, it's totally awesome that he knows who I am... can you imagine someone whom you're a huge fan of who knows your name and whatnot??

So, needless to say one night at Pub while in Michigan for four nights is not enough. I mean we used to go weekly and that was my major stress relief -- Terre Haute has NOTHING like this... so I convince Gundick and Gary to go with me on Friday night because since Erica and Marty have a kid, I know they probably aren't going to want to go again (that's totally reasonable). So I head there with the boys. We get there at about 10pm and Frank is at the piano with his back to us. We sit down and he sees us a bit later and stops what he's saying to say hi. Then when he finished his set he comes over and sits down with us (after hugs and a kiss :) ) . We got to catch up and he's got some great things going on. I'm excited for him and told him that when he made it famous i was telling everyone we were BFFs. He laughed and said ok. :)

So it was a good night. It was a good Pub visit! :)

So, I'm not really obsessed with this guy, but he makes a big deal that we are there and always makes sure to come over and talk to us and catch up like we matter. I'm a fan for life because of that! :)

Of course when Frank leaves Pub will cease to exist to me...

It was a good night...

No comments:

Post a Comment