Saturday, July 25, 2009

Action Flicks... overall - not a fan

So I went to see Transformers tonight. The second one. I saw the first one a couple of weeks ago on DVD and it was good so i thought, "what the heck, it's only $5."

I realized something tonight...

I'm not a fan of the action flick. Love the suspense flick. Love the comedies. Love t he romantic comedies. Love the dramas. Even love the occasional sci fi.. but not a fan of the pure action flick.

Transformers had great potential ruined by too much attention to the special effects. The fight scenes could have been cut in half and they could have extended the plot, added suspense, and even deepened the romance between the leads... but no, the producers decided to extend the fight scenes instead of the plot.. disappointing. So I realize that I don't care about special effects.. when I was yawning and bored during the fight scenes, you know there's an issue... I need more plot.. I don't mind action.. lots of action if I have to think through it.. but if it's just for show I start getting angry...

And Shia LaBeouf --- not believable as an 18 year old... which is strange because he's really only like 23... but I still didn't believe him as 18... but the again.. as someone who works with 18 year olds on a daily basis I'd have a more critical eye than most...

So give me the action/suspense and I'm happy, but save the fight scenes for someone else...

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya! I realize after listing my top 10 flicks that I'm quite a fan of musicals. But, Lordy, don't let that get around...

    Action flicks have become cartoons-- disguised as special effects. Seen any GOOD flicks lately?

    ReplyDelete