Saturday, August 21, 2010

Touching Moments...

I saw one of those rare touching moments yesterday... the kind that make you feel like a voyeur of life...

It's move in weekend.  It's that wonderful time of year where people who work in colleges and universities across the nation get fresh faces eager to learn.  Our lives are reaffirmed each year with a new batch of kids.  Most are wonderful and are eager sponges ready to soak up any knowledge we can throw their way... we won't talk about the rest -- this is a happy post.

Anyway, so yesterday was our first move in day.  At the end of the day, as I was leaving work (close to 7pm) I was stopped at a stop light and right beside me on the sidewalk was clearly a family saying bye to their daughter on her first day of college.  As I pulled up I saw two women hugging and two men standing there looking uncomfortable.  As the two women pulled apart it was clear it was a mother/daughter moment with Dad and possibly uncle standing awkwardly to the side not sure how to deal with the tears. 

All I could think was "I need to call my staff to make sure someone meets this poor girl at the door and keeps her from crying in her room. 

I don't know anything about this girl, but I do hope her RA took her under her wing last night.  It was hard to watch.  I remember when I moved in to college the first time and how scary it was.  I remember when my folks left at the end of the day. 

OK now I miss my parents and sister!!

No comments:

Post a Comment