Tuesday, June 29, 2010

What is happening to the world??

I saw an article on the Today show about employers that are rewarding their staff for taking care of themselves.  They are giving out monetary and other incentives to folks for taking their blood pressure medicine, attending church, stopping smoking, losing weight... etc.  WTH?!!

No wonder we have so many apathetic people in our country... we bribe them to to everything.  If there is no bribe there is no action.  What happened to the days when people did the right thing BECAUSE IT WAS THE RIGHT THING?  What happened to the days when my personal business WAS MY PERSONAL BUSINESS?  Why the hell would I want my employer knowing about my blood pressure medicine, religious beliefs, etc?  So if I don't have high blood pressure (I don't), don't go to church (I don't), don't smoke (I don't), and am not fat (ok, I am that) then what?

I had a cousin who started smoking so that she could take more breaks at work. So I'm being punished by my employer for not having high blood pressure, not being going to church (what if I'm a non-believer?  There is no church for non-believers so those folks are being punished -- is it my employers job to punish people for their religious beliefs or non-beliefs -- I believe that is ILLEGAL), not smoking, and not being fat (if I wasn't -- this is a rhetorical question)?  That's ridiculous!!

Why do people need to be bribed to do what is right?  Along with that -- why do I need to bribe people to do a good job?  When did it happen that I have to give some elaborate recognition award to someone for JUST DOING THEIR JOB??  When did it become OK to DEMAND recognition?  Isn't recognition more meaningful when it is offered without coerced?  Doesn't it mean more when I give you recognition because I feel you deserve it and not just because I know your little feelings would be hurt if I didn't?

I don't know what is wrong with people today.  For me, a "thank you" is enough, or hell just letting me do what I want and trusting my judgment is enough for me -- I don't need a trophy or plaque to prove my worth.

What is wrong with the world??!!

2 comments:

  1. Do the tight thing because it is the right thing to do is a foreign concept to many people these days. So frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If a worker in a particular factory in York comes to work every day for such-and-such a time, they get a bonus vacation day.

    Now wait a minute. Isn't that what we're supposed to do-- come to work? Now the company pays you a bonus just because you're a nice guy and come to work? Something's wrong.

    ReplyDelete