Friday, June 18, 2010

He tweeted about what??!!

So, did anyone read this business about the Utah execution by firing squad?

FIRING SQUAD?!

I thought we stopped doing that a LOOOONNNNGGG time ago... I thought all we did anymore was lethal injection because the rest were thought cruel and unusual????

If we're back to firing squads can we also institute canings? I think public stoning and/or caning would be more of a deterrent than the death penalty anyway. I mean if I knew that if I got caught stealing then I was going to be stoned or caned in the town square -- I'd sure think twice... and if it wasn't a deterrent -- all it would take is once and I'd never do it again. Unlike the death penalty which has a deterrent effect of ZERO.

I personally think public humiliation is a MUCH better punishment for crime than the death penalty or incarceration. I mean CLEARLY incarceration is NOT a deterrent... but I bet if we put those same people up in front of their peers, pulled their pants down, and beat their ASS.. well that would be rather humiliating wouldn't it?? It sure worked for me as a kid....

It's not cruel or unusual because parents have been doing it for YEARS....

OK, in all honesty I don't believe in any of the above. I actually think instituting a system of RESTORATIVE JUSTICE would be the best idea for everyone. Our legal system clearly does not work -- forcing people to actually take responsibilities for their actions and have real face-to-face conversations with their victims and being forced to personally view the result of their actions and then having to repair the HARM caused by their actions is the BEST way to go about it... but we Americans sure love our blood-lust and vengeance.

The think that bothers me even more than the firing squad though is the fact that the Utah Attorney General TWEETED about it as it happened. WHAT THE HELL??!! That's just so wrong for so many reasons.... it blows my mind.

What is wrong with people?!

2 comments:

  1. The firing squad was the inmates choice. It seems pretty cruel to me. He also could have chosen hanging I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just didn't realize that we had options besides lethal injection....

    I read yesterday that Utah outlawed the firing squad but since he was on death row before then he got to choose.

    I just can't imagine being on the other end of the gun and being forced to gun down an unarmed man... that kind of thing will stay with you...

    ReplyDelete