Monday, January 2, 2012

Mastering Crusty Italian Bread

So, today I decided to make bread.  I've only  made bread once, about five years ago I made a chocolate cherry bread.  It was good, but since I have my  new mixer, complete with a dough hook, and it's my last day of winter break, I decided to make bread.  Crusty Italian Bread.

Ingredients: 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast,1 cup warm water (110 degrees to 115 degrees), 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil,1 1/2 teaspoons salt,3 cups all-purpose flour,Cornmeal,1 egg white,1 teaspoon cold water
Here we go!

In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
 
 Add the sugar, oil, salt and 2 cups flour. 



 Beat until blended. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough. 
  Knead until smooth and elastic.  I used my dough hook on 3rd speed and it only took about 3 - 4 minutes.
 Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
 Punch dough down; return to bowl. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a loaf 16 in. long x 2-1/2 in. wide with tapered ends. Sprinkle a greased baking sheet with cornmeal; place loaf on baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes. 

 With a sharp knife, make diagonal slashes 2 in. apart across top of loaf. Bake at 375 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.  On the rack below the bread I put another empty pan that as I put the bread in, I added a handful of ice cubes to create steam in the oven.  According to everything I've read and watched that steam is what causes the crust to be crusty. 

Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.

Not to toot my own horn, but OMG this was the BEST tasting bread I've ever had.  I may never eat store bought bread again!!!  SOOO GOOD!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment