Sunday, March 20, 2011

Peanut Noodles with Shredded Chicken and Veggies

Well, here I am again.  Cooking.  I was sick all weekend with a very gross sore throat and could barely swallow or talk.  Today I'm feeling much better and can actually swallow so I wanted real food.  A day and a half of chicken noodle soup was about to kill me!!

This recipe is from my new cookbook.  It's the "Eating Well:  Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook" by Jim Romanoff and the editors of Eating Well magazine.  It turned out pretty good, but I used too many noodles.  If I use an entire box of spaghetti again I'd double the sauce -- I may double it again.  But the first time I make a recipe I make it exactly as it reads and then mix it up later. 





Ingredients:  1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter (I used what I had on had, but the recipe actually calls for natural peanut butter),  2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, 2 teaspoons minced garlic, 1 1/2 teaspoons of Chile-garlic sauce, 1 teaspoon ginger, 8oz whole wheat spaghetti, and veggies.  (Note:  The recipe calls for "1 12oz bag of fresh vegetable medley, such as carrots, broccoli, and snow peas.  I had Carrots on hand and had Jess pick up a head of fresh broccoli which is not in this picture because I took it prior to Jess getting to my house).





Put a large pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta.  I used my  largest pot because I knew I was cooking a whole box of spaghetti plus fresh veggies.






Place chicken in a skillet or pan and add enough water to cover; bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce head to low and simmer gently until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle.  It ended up being 12 minutes for the small piece and about 14 - 15 for the largest piece. 







 Next, chop your veggies into bite size pieces.  I had some left over carrots in the fridge that I chopped, I chopped the broccoli to small pieces, and I had some green onions that I chopped as well. 


In a large bowl, add 1/2 cup of peanut butter.


2 tablespoons of low-sodium soy sauce


1/2 teaspoon of chile-garlic sauce

Don't forget the 2 teaspoons of minced garlic, and 1 teaspoon minced ginger.


Whisk it all together and you get kind of a paste.  Then set it aside.

 


Shred the chicken.  Take it out of the water and let it stand for 5 - 10 minutes so that it's cool.  I used two forks to pull it apart, but you can use your hands if you don't mind getting them dirty.  I hate getting my hands dirty -- when I used to decorate cakes I had to wash my hands every five minutes because I hated the feeling of the icing on my hands.. and under my finger nails.  ICK!
 


Put your pasta on to boil.   The brand I used said to let it cook for 10 minutes.  I added the vegetable after it had cooked for 8 minutes and then cooked the veggies with the pasta for the last two minutes.  Save 1 cup of the pasta liquid and then drain and rinse with cool water to freshen it.  (I messed up and forgot to save the cup of pasta water) 

I love cooking fresh vegetables.  The color brightens and is so pretty!! 



Throw the pasta/veggies in the pan and add the chicken. 



I messed up a tiny bit here.  When you drain the pasta you are supposed save 1 cup of the water, which I did not do.  So I had some chicken stock in the cupboard and used that instead. 
Mix the one cup of liquid into the sauce paste. Whisk it together until you get a slightly thick sauce. 




Pour it over the pasta/veggies/chicken and toss it all together.  Looks yummy, right?!!



Here it is dished up for Jess and me to enjoy!! I sprinkled the green onion on top and it looked so pretty!!

It was very good, but beware, that chile-garlic sauce packs a punch!! I would still double the sauce next time, if I use the whole box of spaghetti noodles. 



 


























No comments:

Post a Comment