Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Not Yo Momma's Brussels!!

So I was home for Easter!! It was delightful. It's always delightful to be with the family.  They are fun group and I got to see cousins who were a lot of fun!!  So in my Cooking Light magazine I found a recipe that I really wanted to try but it makes so much that it was too much for me so I decided Easter would be a great opportunity to make it.  I call it "Not Yo Mamma's Brussels"  but the Magazine has a less inspired name "Crispy Topped Brussels Sprouts and Cauliflower Gratin". 

If you notice a change in background it's because I was making it at my folks house.  It's always weird cooking in someone else's kitchen.  Luckily, my dad is an amazing cook so he has everything necessary!!: )





Ingredients and Measurements:  4 cups cauliflower, 4 cups Brussels sprouts, 1/4 cup flour, 1 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk, 2/3 cup half and half, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 4 slices center-cut bacon, 2 cups sweet onion, 3 garlic cloves - minced, cooking spray, 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, 1/4 cup cornflake crumbs.

Preheat oven to 370 degrees.



Boil a pot of water.  Clean your veggies and cut them into bite size pieces. 




Cook Cauliflower and Brussels sprouts in boiling water for 2 minutes and drain.
Set aside.






In a bowl, mix the flour, milk, half and half, salt, pepper, and nutmeg.  Whisk it together.

Chop the bacon.  I used kitchen shears because it's easier with bacon.



Heat a large skillet over medium heat.  Add bacon to pan and cook three minutes or until bacon begins to brown, stirring occasionally.  While the bacon cooks, chop your onion and garlic.


Add onion and garlic; cook five minutes, stirring occasionally.


Stir in milk mixture;  bring to a simmer.  Cook five minutes or until thick, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and add cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. 
Spoon into a baking dish coated in cooking spray. 
Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.





Meanwhile, grate the Parmesan.

Add the corn flake crumbs and mix well.



After 20 minutes, remove the veggies from oven and top with the parm/cornflake crumbs.  Preheat the broiler.
Place 5 inches from broiler and cook for four minutes or until brown and crispy.


Mmmm DELICIOUS!!!

I had to try a tiny bit before we went to the dinner.

Now, I'll be honest.  It was OK.  I'm still learning to like Brussels sprouts so too many sometimes is too much for me.  But the sauce on this is TO DIE FOR!! IT would be amazing with broccoli and cauliflower, with potatoes, with pasta.. or with anything really.  It was so freaking good.  

Now for the good news:  1 serving (1 cup) = 148 calories!! 

If you don't like Brussels sprouts, substitute any of your favorite veggies!!  The sauce is worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment